Stress, Is very much connected to our nutrition, during stressful times a good support of vitamins, with some changes in life habits will help you to manage stressful periods.
Herbal remedies have a lot to offer during stressed periods, and herbs that help balance the body are described as adaptogens.
This word describes herbs that help the body to “adapt”, adjust itself back to homeostasis.
Adaptogens represent a wide variety of plants.
ADAPTOGENIC HERBS HELP OUR BODY TO BALANCE-
By helping calm you down and increase your cellular energy.
One of the things that make adaptogenic herbs to be so unique is that they know how to act on multiple parts of the body at the same time
Adaptogens demonstrate those qualities:
- reduce anxiety
- nootropic (improve cognitive function, particularly executive functions, memory, creativity or motivation, in healthy individuals)
- increases mental work capacity against a background of stress and fatigue, particular intolerance to mental exhaustion (1).
In the image, you can see how adaptogens increase the state of nonspecific resistance in stress and decrease sensitivity to stressors
THIS IS HOW ADAPTOGENS WORK:
They relieve stress by modulating the release of stress hormones from the adrenal glands.
ADAPTOGENS MIGHT HELP WITH THE FOLLOWING (2) –
ADAPTOGENS AND ENERGY LEVELS
- Siberian ginseng with active ingredients that called “eleutherosides”, this wonderful root may help you to manage your stress level especially if you suffer from exhaustion.
- Ashwagandha, or Withania somnifera, an amazing herb, that has similar qualities to the Ginseng, can support your body if you suffer from stress and may increase your energy levels.
STRESS AND SLEEPING PROBLEMS
- Rhodiola rosea- a plant that grows in cold regions and at high altitudes in Europe and Asia. Rhodiola is considered to be an adaptogen due to its purported ability to increase resistance to chemical, biological, and physical stressors.
While taking different dosages it can help you both to increase your energy levels and have stimulating effects on the central nervous system and if you take higher doses you will experience the more calming effect.
Usage of Rhodiola as a daily preventative against fatigue has been reported to be effective in doses as low as 50mg.
Acute usage of Rhodiola for fatigue and anti-stress has been noted to be taken in the 288-680 mg range (3).
Its claimed benefits include antidepressant, anticancer, cardioprotective, and central nervous system enhancement.
Research also indicates great utility in asthenic conditions (decline in work performance, sleep difficulties, poor appetite, irritability, hypertension, headaches, and fatigue) (4)
FEELING ANXIOUS DURING THE DAY
- Holy basil Known also as Tulsi, herb with an ancient culinary, medical and ritual history.
It is considered in Indian culture as a herb that helps to improve quality of life and good health.
FOCUS AND ENERGY
- Gotu Kola Also known as Centella asiatica.
This wonderful herb may help you to feel more focused because of its known quality as mental ability enhancer.
This herb also very good for the skin and may help to varicose veins because it stimulates the production of collagen and elastin.
- Reishi- mushroom with many health benefits:
Boosting the immune system, help to balance sugar levels in the blood and even may help for who suffer from insomnia.
It supports hormonal balance, It is very harmonic herb, this is why it should be considered in any stress management treatment.
- Cordyceps, strong adaptogenic qualities and with strong affinity to the respiratory system.
It is used as a stimulant, a tonic, and an adaptogen which is used to increase energy, enhance stamina, and reduce fatigue.
This is just a small intro to the amazing world of herbal medicine
You can understand more how wonderful and harmonically it works!
The same like medicine, be aware of the contraindications and ask your doctor before taking supplements and herbs!
My name is Pazit, I’m a registered Naturopath N.D. , MNNA (a member of the Naturopathic Nutrition Association), Herbalist, Aromatherapist and Bach Flower remedies therapist based in London.
www.pazbynature.com Health & Wellness Blog includes travel inspiration, healthy food and natural remedies.