Dal Bhat is a traditional meal, popular in many areas of Nepal, Bangladesh and India.
It consists of Rice and a cooked lentil soup called Dal/ Dhal.
This meal is a perfectly balanced meal that contains healthy carbs, plant-based protein, fibre, minerals & vitamins, phytonutrients, and macronutrients.
This balanced vegan meal is wonderful warming dish for cold winter time.
25 minutes and its ready!
Vitamin B6, Iron, Manganese, Potassium, Betacarotene, Curcumin (1)
Gingerols (anti-inflammatory compounds), volatile oils (2)
B vitamins, Iron, Potassium, Zinc, Fibre, Protein (3)
What you need:
- 3/4 cup organic red lentils
- 1 cup fresh coconut milk
- 0.5 cup water
- 1 shallot onion, finely diced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1-inch fresh organic turmeric, peeled and grated
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 spoon cold pressed coconut oil
- spices- graham masala, black pepper, herbal salt
How to make?
- Rinse the red lentils with cold water and let the water drain.
- Heat the coconut oil, add the onion, ginger and turmeric, pepper and cook for few minutes.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, water, graham masala and black pepper (No Salt yet, it will prevent the cooking of the lentils!!).
- Bring to boil and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- When ready add salt according to your own flavour.
- Serve warm, decorated with fresh parsley leaves and squeeze of fresh lime (Vitamin C! help to the absorption of the Iron from the lentils 🙂) on a base of basmati rice.
See my other Eat Beautiful recipes-