Eating a diet that includes high consumption of fruits, vegetables and healthy plant-based foods while restricting processed “junk” foods will help you to shift your diet to be more alkaline.
On this post, I will present the theory of Acid-Alkaline diet, including health benefits and the foods that will help your diet be more alkaline.
This approach claims that if the body maintains an alkaline environment then your metabolism, enzymes, immune system, and repair mechanisms can function at their best.
When the body is fighting an illness or under stress, the body usually takes on more acidic properties.
What is pH?
The pH (potential Hydrogen) is a scale representing the relative acidity (or alkalinity) of a solution.
The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14.
- pH = 7 is neutral, like pure water
- pH < 7 is acidic.
- pH > 7 is alkaline.
Human life requires a tightly controlled pH level in the serum of about 7.4 (a slightly alkaline range of 7.35 to 7.45) to survive.
The pH of gastric acid is 1.5 to 3.5
Alkaline diets may have few health benefits (1)
- Eating more fruits and vegetables in an alkaline diet would improve the potassium-to-sodium ratio and may benefit bone health, reduce muscle wasting, as well as mitigate other chronic diseases such as hypertension and strokes.
- An increase in intracellular magnesium, which is required for the function of many enzyme systems, is another added benefit of the alkaline diet.
Available magnesium, which is required to activate vitamin D, would result in numerous added benefits in the vitamin D apocrine/exocrine systems.
- Alkalinity may result in added benefit for some chemotherapeutic agents that require a higher pH.
There is a difference between acid-forming to the term acidic:
Whether a substance is alkaline or acid is determined by its pH
Eating more alkaline foods:
- All vegetables are alkaline, especially the green ones that are high in chlorophyll which is rich in magnesium (alkalising mineral)
- Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice with warm water will make alkaline residue when they reach the small intestine.
- Moderate the consumption of acidic foods include dairy, white flour, poultry, beef, coffee, eggs, sugar, caffeine, wheat, saturated fats, processed foods, carbonated beverages, peanuts, pasta, white rice, chocolate, alcohol, and tobacco.
A deep breath can help to alkalize your body, this is because you bring more oxygen into your cells.
Shallow-breathe (during stress, anger..) will leave more CO2 (Carbon dioxide), more acidity in your system.
My name is Pazit, I’m a registered Naturopath N.D. , MNNA (a member of the Naturopathic Nutrition Association), Herbalist, Aromatherapist and Bach Flower remedies therapist based in London.
www.pazbynature.com Health & Wellness Blog includes travel inspiration, healthy food and natural remedies.